Sunday, April 15, 2007

On The Waste Land, by T.S. Eliot

So here's something I wanted to share with the world:

I think I know what the basic structure of The Waste Land (TWL from here) is based on. If you compare, head to head, sections of TWL and the Fool's Journey (from the Tarot), you begin to see a strong correlation between the symbology of the Fool's Journey (progression of the Major Arcana from I - XXII, or 0-21, depending on your preference) and the structure of the imagery in TWL, leading me to strongly believe that Eliot intentionally based his work on this aspect of the Tarot.

Some are likely to disagree, as Eliot has previously stated that he knew very little about the Tarot. I'm inclined to disagree, as many scholars agree that his comments about the work are peppered with red herrings, intended to mislead and misdirect and further shroud the meaning of his work in mystery. If anyone is interested, then drop a comment and I'll expound further on this when I have time. Until then, enjoy finding it for yourself.

No comments: